Involvement in BDSM/Leather
She was 1996’s International Ms. Leather, which made her the first black International Ms. Leather.
In 2001, her book Leather Titleholder Manual: So You Want to be a Titleholder? was published by Mystic Rose Press.
Also in 2001, she started the Ms. World Leather contest. A Mr. World Leather Contest followed in 2006.
In 2005, she and Viola Johnson started what became The Carter/Johnson Library & Collection, a “collection of thousands of books, magazines, posters, art, club and event pins, newspapers, event programs and ephemera showing leather, fetish, S/M erotic history”, as its website says, which is exhibited every year at the Master/slave Conference (MsC).
She was at one time a president of the Mid-Atlantic Onyx Pearls, an organization of (according to its website) “proud women and non-binary people of color who serve our Leather and kink communities with honesty and integrity.”
- 1998: Pantheon of Leather Couple of the Year Award (shared with Viola Johnson and Queen Cougar)
- 1998: Community Choice (Woman) from the Pantheon of Leather Awards
- 1998: National Emerald Award presented by the Washington State Mr. Leather Organization (WSMLO)
- 1998: Jan Lyon Award from the National Leather Association – International
- 1998 and 2001: Pantheon of Leather Woman of the Year Award
- 2011: Mr. Marcus Hernandez Lifetime Achievement Award (Woman) from the Pantheon of Leather Awards
- 2018: The Carter/Johnson Library & Collection received the Nonprofit Organization of the Year award as part of the Pantheon of Leather Awards