In late 1976, Haberman became interested in the leather subculture. By the late 1990s, he was a well-known educator in leather circles, teaching classes at many places and events in the United States and Canada, including Texas Leather Pride in Austin, Spring Iniquity in Houston, Southeast Leatherfest in Atlanta, Kinky Kollege in Chicago, and the San Francisco Leathermen’s Discussion Group.
From 2001-2002 he was the vice president and president-elect of the National Leather Association-International. He resigned as president-elect in 2003.
In January 2014, he became a columnist for Leatherati, a leather and kink community lifestyle blog.
In February 2014, the IMsL Foundation, which was created to work on the titleholder travel fund, education, and historical aspects of International Ms. Leather, was incorporated as a California non-profit corporation. An interim board was formed to set up the organization which included Haberman among others.
- The Family Jewels: A Guide to Male Genital Play and Torment, Greenery Press, 2001. HB ISBN 1890159344 (PB ISBN 1890159344)
- More Family Jewels: Further Explorations in Male Genitorture, Nazca Plains Corp, 2007. PB ISBN 1934625094
- Playing With Pain: Stories from My Life in Leather, Nazca Plains Corp, 2007. PB ISBN 1934625175
- Soul of a Second Skin: The Journey of a Gay Christian Leatherman, Nazca Plains Corp, 2007. PB ISBN 1934625388
- Shouts in the Wilderness: Daily Meditations for Leatherfolk, Adynaton Publishing, 2017, PB ISBN 0985900490
Notable Films Directed
- Leather (1996)
- Out of the Darkness: The Reality of SM (2001)
Notable Awards Received
- Steve Maidhof Award for National or International Work from the National Leather Association International (1999), shared with Bill Schmeling
- Lifetime Achievement Award from the National Leather Association International (2007)
- National Gay and Lesbian Task Force Leather Leadership Award (2009)
- President’s Award as part of the Pantheon of Leather Awards (2010)
- South Central Regional Award as part of the Pantheon of Leather Awards (2017)
- Mr. Marcus Hernandez Lifetime Achievement Award (Man) as part of the Pantheon of Leather Awards (2019)